BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, January 3, 2013

White Rotel Dip



I made so many batches of standard Velveeta and Rotel dip in my 20s, I've nearly rebelled against it in my 30s. It was my staple dish to every single college gathering I ever attended. I never even knew people put ground beef or sausage in it until a few years ago.

When I saw this variation from Deep South Dish, I knew it would make a great addition to my family's Christmas Eve celebration. While we all gather in the kitchen pre-dinner anyway...this year, we were even further tightly gathered around this little crockpot (perfect for serving and keeping warm), vying for room to get our next scoop. Yeah, saying it was a hit is a huge understatement. There wasn't one person in our group that shied away from this one.

It's much richer and creamier than the original, and the cream cheese brings a completely different flavor to it. I like the spice of the hot sausage to cut through the creaminess. Many declared it "the new Rotel dip." Guess we're done with the block of orange cheese!

Printable recipe


1 pound hot pork sausage, browned and drained
2 packages cream cheese
2 cans Rotel tomatoes, undrained
2 cups mozzarella cheese

In a large bowl, heat cream cheese in microwave in 2-minute intervals until smooth and easy to stir. Stir in the Rotel and sausage and cook for another couple of minutes. Stir in mozzarella cheese and cook in 2-minute intervals, stirring in between, until cheese is melted and dip is thoroughly warm.

26 comments:

  1. YUM! I love a good Rotel dip. I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the totally inappropriate name in the previous post. No idea where that came from LOL. Have made this twice now and it's a new family hit. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for my daughter to move closer to me....Here I come, Becca...first week I want this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. About how many servings does this make??

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about the corn. No corn in the recipe?? The recipe does sound good and a nice idea instead of the original rotel recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tossed the corn in. This stuff us crazy good! Can't walk away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This can be made in crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2 pkgs. cream cheese. 8 oz. pkgs. or 3 oz. pkgs.?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made this and its delicious!! Its sooo addicting

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I use Velveeta instead of mozzarella?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this tonight was good. But I make one similar hot pork sausage roll one jar of mild salsa small pack of Velvet. Solo much better! But thanks always like to try something new

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have made Velveeta cheese dip for my family and my boys do not like it.This cheese dip recipe they loved .Will keep making this one. Delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Also good stuffed in chicken breast of pork tenderloin

    ReplyDelete
  15. I substituted sweet italian sausage for the hot - but the dip is a total hit. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some Rotel is very hot. Which did you use

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shared with my readers and pointed them here for directions. Thanks for the recipe! http://collectorofrecipes.com/?p=1217

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds very good!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've seen this recipe without the mozzarella, with velveeta instead of mozzarella, and/or with corn added. I believe it is best as written here. The corn adds a little extra color. Use spicy or mild Rotel tomatoes based on your preference.

    ReplyDelete
  20. can you use cheddar instead of mozzarella?

    ReplyDelete
  21. My sister-in-law made this delish app for Christmas 2017 and everyone liked it. I made for Super Bowl 2018 and must admit it's easy and nice to have a change from the standard yellow dip. Tip: I used both cans of 'original' Rotel, however, I can I didn't use the 'juice' from 1 of the cans (for a bit thicker dip). Also I used only a 1/2 cup of frozen yellow corn. I had some extra dip leftover, so I frozen in hopes of using later - use hope that works!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I find any rotel dip (traditional velveeta or the cream cheese version) is creamier and less gritty with addition of a can of Cream of Mushroom condensed soup.

    ReplyDelete